Monday, October 20, 2014

The America I remember


The Surgeon General smoking
Marlboro Man cigarettes, priests
altering the minds of altar boys,
the President himself up on charges
of sexually harassing women 
between speeches on family values.

Brand new cars parked in the lots
of towers of imported steel,
everyone an executive manager
of somebody else’s financial deals.

Dollars crisp and clean spilling
out of Automatic Teller Machines
where new leaves once grew on trees, 
smog obliterating the horizons,
oil choking once sacred beaches,
the seagulls gasping

for recognition.
Gangster kids, cheating teachers, 
out-of-control credit cards,
bankrupting the possibility

of saving a single dime.
Mortgage payments outlasting
the houses, the so-called owners
of the houses.  Apple pie crust,
a glue of preservatives,
plastic surgeons carving

eternal doll faces,
unable to save the dolls.
Artists pleading for audiences,
truckers speeding on speed,

heroin eyes, marijuana ennui,
my own mother afraid 
of the night-time streets
in a town so small and sweet,
everyone knows everyone’s creed
and drug prescriptions.

The snow mountains sinking,
the desert canyons slipping,
Death Valley itself dropping below
sea level, closer and closer to Beijing.

Juan Rosales serving Mexican booze
and Chinese chicken tacos to film stars,
in unlit, dull as old flame bars,
the Cambodian student flunking
English 101 because she can’t study
and work three jobs as well—Hell,


just to keep donuts in the house,
how she escaped over the barbed wire fence
of the Kmer Rouge concentration camp,
risking her life for the documentary dream

of Abraham Lincoln’s sainthood.
For what?  She wants to know
because the slaves are still slaves
she says, and I cannot answer her now,
nor could I then, or before,
riding the bus five hours

a day to keep the landlord out
of the palimony courts.
God, a word we trusted,
like the made-in-the USA bordellos.

I remember every pizza parlor,
every fast food fry shack.
Mostly I remember the shadow men,
their impotent beds,
insomnia swelling their lids,
adrenalin of terror

keeping them going
nowhere and everywhere
at once in instantaneity. 
When I remember America

I think of the Warm Springs Indian
Reservation, how the people took me in,
feeding me Deschutes River salmon for weeks,
singing, rattling, dancing the Medicine
until there is no more home
to come home to,


I say, falling asleep
and into my self
11,000 miles away
from San Clemente’s nuclear plant
perched like a huge temple
on the best shore of California waste.

Yes, I remember,
 remember,
 remember.
 I do not dare to forget. 

1 comment:

  1. Its so insightful. And very beautifully written with all essence from America.

    ReplyDelete