Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Sai Baba on Unity

By Terry Reis Kennedy

Some of you know I was born in the United States and came to  India be near my Guru, Bhagawan Sri Sathya Sai Baba more than 18 years ago.  In India I had the luxury of being able to reflect on my Mother Land.  I could better understand the confusion of Americans from a distance.  We are brainwashed from birth that money brings happiness and that control over others ensures peace.   Before long, though, I discovered the people of India are also obsessed with money and power.  What to do?

Bhagawan Baba teaches, “Bharat today is in a crisis created by myriad difficult problems.  But not Bharat alone, all other countries are also facing similar crises.  What is the reason?  It is the total failure to remember the spiritual oneness of mankind.  Only the sense of spiritual unity will generate universal love.  That love alone will bind men together in unity.  This love principle should emanate from the heart.  Only then true unity will emerge.”

I imagined that was easy enough to do.  I could visualize unity amongst my fellows. But!  It was not so easy for me to feel it in my day-to-day dealings, especially with charlatans and thieves.  How could I, a mere human, love on such a noble scale? 


Baba, the Ever Gentle Master, says, “In this cosmic university all are students.  Hence everyone should render social service to the extent of one’s capacity and spread Swami’s ideals among all.  There is nothing selfish in Swami’s message.  Hence anyone can spread it selflessly.  Sow the seed of love in your hearts and it will grow in due course into a big tree.  God is one.  Do not entertain any differences of creed or caste.  Carry the message of unity to every home.”

So, this I consciously attempt.  I am better at serving, perhaps, than I am at loving.  Certain people still enrage me.

On the other hand, our Beloved Bhagawan Baba understands.  “There are few today who recognize unity in diversity, though there are any number of intellectuals who are engaged in promoting divisions and differences.  The world today needs righteous men who will promote unity.

“Embodiments of love!  There is only one thing you have to offer to me today.  Pray that people in all countries, nay, the entire humanity, should be happy and at peace.  ‘Lokaa Samasthas Sukhino Bhavanthu.’  (‘Let all the worlds be happy.’)  Then alone there will be real unity.  Do not wish merely for the peace and prosperity of India alone.  Pray for the welfare of all countries.  All are our brothers, whether they are in Pakistan or America or elsewhere.”

Now I have come to regard my Native Land as the whole Earth.  Yes, I may have been born in one part of the Earth but I am part of every culture and every creed.  Living in India has shown me that I belong to only caste that Sai Baba sways we all belong to—the caste of humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment