Tuesday, October 20, 2015

THE GOD OF MY UNDERSTANDING


By Terry Reis Kennedy

I started my day at the General Hospital here at the Abode of Peace, Sathya Sai Baba's ashram. A friend of mine had to have minor surgery on her foot. I walked up the hill from the main road to meet her, enjoying the beautiful flowers and bushes all around the hospital area. It was just past 7 in the morning and the grounds were full of patients waiting to be treated by the staff. Birds were singing in the trees, babies were smiling at me; village people spoke to me in Telegu. My heart was full of bliss, the kind that saints and mystics have described feeling after years of prayers and penance.

Yet here I am, a common sinner, a woman of no importance, and I have reached the heights of mergence with the God of my understanding. A few tears plop onto my cheeks as I remember all the days I have spent climbing up to this little hospital to get help for myself or for a friend.....25 years I have been freely served, I have gotten free medicine, I have witnessed people in stages of giving birth and I have watched people slip into death peacefully and quietly. How could I ever leave the little things that Puttaparthi has given to me through the grace of the God of my understanding?


I don't have words to explain when people ask, what do you do there. And now my day is ending. My friend's foot is healing. I have finished the work I left undone in the morning. The birds are back in their trees asleep. The flowers have closed their petals. The sweet aroma of the jasmine trees that rise above my roof waft down through my office window as I type. Thank you, Lord, for all the little things that brought me here and the Huge Love that holds me here.....

No comments:

Post a Comment